WHAT IS PATTERNED HAIR LOSS?
The term hair loss refers to when the hair is lost from the scalp, resulting in thinning of hair, patchiness, or baldness. The medical term for hair loss is alopecia, permanent loss of hair is called baldness. In India more than 50% of men of age 50 will be affected by male pattern baldness
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF PATTERNED HAIR LOSS?
There are two types of patterned hair loss:
- Male pattern baldness - in male pattern baldness the loss of hair starts typically from the top and front of the head and forms an M pattern in the forehead, it is also called androgenic alopecia because it is triggered by making sex hormones and genetic cause.
- Female pattern baldness - in female hair loss there is no specific pattern but usually, hair getting thin, hairline is receding
Three types of female pattern baldness -
- Type 1 is when the amount of hair thinning is small on your scalp
- Type 2 there is widening of the scalp and the amount of thining is increased around it
- Type 3 the thinning start throughout the scalp and visibility of the scalp in between the hair.
WHAT ARE THE RISK FACTORS FOR PATTERNED HAIR LOSS?
- Age -male pattern baldness mainly affects the adult man but may also occur in teenage.
- Stress full events distress -any emotional shock which causes an impact on our health it leads to hair fall, hair fall occurs after physical and mental stress.
- Genetic - if there is a history of baldness in the family those persons are more prone to the hair loss
- Some Diseases - like anemia or a thyroid problem also lead to a major cause of hair loss.
- Radiation or chemotherapy treatments are taken for any purpose
- Some medications such as medications used for blood thinners in case of embolism, steroids, when any person takes high doses of vitamin A, steroids, medicine for cancer arthritis depression high blood pressure heart problems.
- Any infection of the scalp -due to infection of the scalp it weakens the roots of hair some conditions such as scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, tinea capitis, or maybe some other condition causes hair fall.
- Any problems with diet - if any person takes a diet that is low in iron and contain a high level of vitamin A it also leads to hair fall.
- Immune system- when the immune system become due to fever, flu, or any other condition also increases the risk of hair fall.
- Significant weight loss
Female pattern baldness -
The majority of risk factors of male and female baldness is the same, some specific cause which is related to the only female cause of hair loss such as
- PCOS -as PCOS is a hormonal disease it also plays an important role in hair fall.
- Grooming -making tight ponytails, braids, or cornrows in which hair face tightly bandage it hurt the hair lining so as result it weakens the hair.
- Menopause - women who are at the age of menopause are also prone to hair loss.
WHAT ARE THE COMPLICATIONS OF PATTERNED HAIR LOSS?
Hair Falls does not contain major complication but they may cause permanent hair loss and scarring of the scalp.
Social stigma -beautiful hair increases the confidence level but if the hair growth is not good it sometimes leads to depression, and isolation from society, and friends.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF PATTERNED HAIR LOSS?
The only symptom of hair loss are falling of hair loss but the falling of hair follows some pattern that's why hair loss is distributed in two types male pattern baldness and female pattern baldness
Male pattern baldness - in classical male pattern baldness hair loss begins to start from above the temples and vertex (calvaria ) of the scalp as the condition increase, the hair falls gradually increases, and sometimes it causes hair to fall in the M pattern on the forehead.
In Female there is no specific pattern but gradually the number of hair decreases and the thickness of hair become less.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF PATTERNED HAIR LOSS?
- Average hair loss per day is about 100, this loss usually does not cause any noticeable thinning of scalp hair because if the hair is lost, new hair is growing at the same time this is the cycle between damage hair loss and growth of hair if this cycle is disturbed it causes noticeable hair thinning.
- Male pattern baldness is also called androgenetic alopecia because andro indicates male sex hormone (dihydrotestosterone ) while genetic indicates genetic heredity.
- Stress mental or physical stress also leads to hair loss because it weakens immunity.
- Other causes of hair loss are lack of nutrition and infections of the scalp which also lead to hair fall.
- Any infection of the scalp such as tinea capitis, seborrheic dermatitis, or fungal infection leads to hair loss
- Diet, if the diet is not nutritious it leads to weakness of the immune system
In females, the cause of hair loss is sometimes different
- After pregnancy, the chances of hair fall is increasing due to hormonal changes
- At the time of menopause
- Having PCOD
- The thyroid disorder is more common in females so thyroid is also one of the major causes of hair fall in females
DIAGNOSIS OF PATTERNED HAIR LOSS
The diagnosis of hair fall, requires just past history, medical history, and a physical examination,
Blood examination to rule out the anemia or other cause of hair fall.
Sometimes scalp biopsy also to find any infection of the scalp.
Pull test - physician gently pulls the hair and checks the amount of pulled hair.
TREATMENT OF PATTERNED HAIR LOSS
The convention treatment for the hair fall is medicated soaps, and shampoos, and sometimes doctors also used supplements to fulfill the need for vitamins such as multivitamins.
And the other way of treatment is just to find out the underlying cause and treat it well
In homeopathy hair, fall is well treated because it is safe and permanent
MANAGEMENT OF PATTERNED HAIR LOSS
Management of the hair fall is very important because with the medicine and management the result is very good
- Don’t let your hair get dry so apply coconut oil or almond oil because the dryness of hair is prone to breaking.
- Always take a healthy diet and a nutritious diet, a diet that is rich in protein because protein makes hair strong.
- Limit the consumption of alcohol and smoking because also weaken your immunity.
- Protect your hair from dust and exposure to the sun
- Always use herbal products and try to avoid chemicals product as much as possible.
- And the main management is to find the cause of hair fall and treat them.
HOMEOPATHIC MANAGEMENT OF PATTERNED HAIR LOSS
Why homeopathy is the best treatment for hair fall because homeopathy is the natural way of treatment and it is also harmless it gives permanent solutions to hair fall issues.
But never take homeopathy medicine without any consultation from a registered homeopathic practitioner. some homeopathy medicine are Jaborandi ,acid flour ,thuja ,lycopodium ,phosphorus,sulphur.
DO'S AND DON'TS
- Always be gentle with your hair while washing, combing the hair
- Always try to use herbal shampoos
- Use conditioner in a week to make it smooth here
- Always keep hair clean and dry
- Protect your hair from direct exposure to sunlight and other sources of ultraviolet light.
- Eat proteinous diet
- Keep hydrated
- Join healthy community
- Avoid tight hairstyles such as braids buns or ponytails
- Avoid rubbing, pulling, and twisting hair
- Avoid treatment of hair that is full of chemicals and also avoid highly chemical-based shampoos.
- Avoid using hair driers.
- Avoid hot rollers curling irons and hot oil treatment.
- Limit smoking and alcohol
- Avoid unnecessary medications