WHAT IS ADENOMYOSIS?
Adenomyosis is a condition in which the endometrial lining of the uterus breaks through and encroaches into the muscular myometrial wall of the uterus. These displaced endometrial tissues react to the hormones every month as per the menstrual cycle- thickening- growing- breaking- bleeding. Adenomyosis can be seen throughout the uterus or can be localised to a single spot as well.
The condition is not life threatening but the pain and amount of bleeding compromises the quality of the woman’s life.
- Long oestrogen exposure
- Middle age (40’s and 50’s)
- Delivery of child by C-section
- Uterine fibroid removal surgery
The heavy bleeding can cause anaemia and weakness. Although the condition is not life threatening but it hampers the normal life of the female.
SYMPTOMS & CAUSES
- Heavy bleeding
- Prolonged flow
- Severe cramps in abdomen during menses
- Bloated feeling
- In some cases there could be painful sex and spotting in between periods
The exact cause of adenomyosis is not known but there are theories which try to explain the condition. According to the theories it could be of developmental origin, could be triggered by childbirth or the tissues could directly invade into the inner muscle layer.
DIAGNOSIS & TREATMENT
- Signs and symptoms always lead the doctor to suspect for adenomyosis (heavy painful prolonged periods)
- Pelvic examination would reveal enlarged uterus with tenderness during examination.
- Ultrasound would reveal the presence of adenomyosis.
- MRI would give more clear picture of the uterus.
- Endometrial biopsy is done to rule out other possible serious conditions.
- The conventional treatment of adenomyosis is anti inflammatory drugs which would help in getting rid of the pain.
- Artificial hormone supplementation would help in overall improvement of the symptoms.
- Hysterectomy is advised if the pain is unbearable and heavy bleeding can’t be controlled.
To manage a case of adenomyosis, the symptoms have to be managed first hand
- Warm baths help in relieving pain.
- Also advise the patient to use heating pads to get rid of pain in abdomen.
- Healthy diet would help in keeping the patient healthy.
- Regular exercise
- Iron supplementation helps in cases with anaemia.
- Homeopathic medicines would help in treating the cases permanently.
Homeopathic management includes medicine based on the constitution of the female. A thorough case taking would help in better analysis of the case.
DO’S & DON'TS
- Take healthy diet
- Do regular exercise
- Use heating pads
- Take warm baths
- Keep yourself hydrated
- Don’t smoke
- Don’t take alcohol