WHAT IS A URINARY TRACT INFECTION?
Urinary tract infection is an infection in the urinary tract at any point (kidneys, ureter, bladder, urethra) by microbes and bacterias are the most commonly seen microbes but in a few cases, fungal and viral microbes may also be seen.
The infection may be seen in the upper urinary tract in kidneys and ureter or lower urinary tract that is bladder and urethra.
Women are more prone to have urinary tract infections than men. Women are more affected because:
- The female urethra is close to the anus.
- The female urethra is shorter than the male urethra.
- Sexually active women are more prone to have UTIs.
- Birth control methods that involve invasion in the vagina also increase the chances to have recurrent UTI.
- After menopause women lack estrogen which causes dryness which increases the possibility of infection.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION?
Symptoms if the upper urinary tract that is kidneys and ureter are infected are:
- Pain and heaviness in flanks is felt which may involve the back also.
- In case of severe infection high fever is also seen.
- Nausea/ vomiting along with pain.
Symptoms of the lower urinary tract that is bladder and urethra are involved are:
- Burning micturition is a burning sensation while passing urine.
- Frequent urination with the urge to urinate again and again.
- Pain in the lower abdomen. It may be experienced as pain in the anus in men.
- Hematuria is blood in the urine.
- Urine may appear turbid.
- Offensive urine.
- Painful urination.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS?
- UTI is most commonly spread from the gastrointestinal tract and the bacteria E Coli from the gut is the common causative factor.
- Fungal and viral causes are also seen.
DIAGNOSIS OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION?
Along with the symptoms urine routine and microscopic analysis is enough to establish a diagnosis.
TREATMENT OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION?
- Treatment usually includes antibiotics.
- Advice on maintaining hygiene is given.
- Proper hydration would help.
MANAGEMENT OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION?
- Plenty of water would help excrete the bacteria by diluting the urine and frequent urination.
- Food items that cause dehydration such as coffee, alcohol, carbonated drinks should be avoided.
- A hot water bottle would relieve the pain in the abdomen.
- Proper hygiene should be maintained.
- Ask the female patient the clean the area from forwards to backward.
HOMEOPATHIC MANAGEMENT OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION?
Homeopathic management includes medicines along with the above-mentioned advice.
Homeopathy has many Wonderful medicines which would help in the treatment of UTI without any side effects and permanently also.
Medicines like CANTHARIS, SARSAPARILLA, BENZOIC ACID, NITRIC ACID, SEPIA, APIS MELLIFICA, PULSATILLA, MAG PHOS, etc work very nicely depending on the symptoms of the patient.
DO’S AND DON’TS
- Drink lots of water.
- Drink coconut water and fresh juices.
- Maintain hygiene.
- Clean the area from forwards to backward.
- Take homeopathic medicines.
- Don't dehydrate yourself
- Don’t take coffee, alcohol, colas much.
- Don't clean your area from back to front.