Got Migriane!! choose Homeopathy
Migraine is severe pulsating pain in head usually one sided preceded by an aura of sensory disturbance and can be triggered by various things.
Triggers for migraine are:
- Lack of food or sleep
- Exposure to sun
- Hormonal changes (in women)
- Family history: migraine runs in families.
- Age: peak in 30’s
- Sex: women > men
- Hormonal changes: around menstrual cycles in women; migraine is triggered or aggravated.
Four phases of migraine are:
- Prodrome phase- occurs hours or days before the onset of headache and is characterized by altered mood, depression, fatigue, craving for certain food items, neck stiffness, constipation or diarrhea, sensitivity to light, noise, odor.
- Aura phase- precedes headache and aura may visual (Blind spots or blank patches in the vision, zig zag lines in vision, flashes of light, blurred vision), sensory (Pricking sensation on skin) or motor. Other symptoms of aura phase include speech disturbance, dizziness, auditory hallucinations, delusions.
- Pain phase- usually headache is one sided, throbbing/ pulsating pain which is moderate to severe in intensity and pain lasts for 2 to 72 hours. Pain is frequently associated with nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, sound, smells and fatigue with irritability, light headedness, confusion.
- Post-drome phase- once the pain phase is over there is tired feeling in the sufferer along with mood changes and weakness.
Common symptoms of migraine include:
- Moderate to severe pain, usually one sided but can involve whole head and either side.
- Severe throbbing, pulsating pain.
- Pain is severe enough to effect daily chores.
- Nausea, vomiting as associated symptoms.
- Increased sensitivity to stress, light, noise, smell, physical activity.
- Pain relieved by lying in a quiet dark room.
- Few people also have aura (short period of visual disturbance that signals that the headache will occur soon).
- Headache lasts for 2 to 72 hours.
Migraine with aura
Aura is meant by warning signs in the sufferers which are preceded by onset of headache however auras are rare.
Common symptoms is aura are:
- Confusing thoughts or experiences
- Perception of strange, sparkling, flashing lights.
- Blind spots or blank patches in the vision.
- Pricking sensation on skin.
- Stiffness in shoulders, neck, limbs.
- Unpleasant smells.
Management of migraine:
- Prepare a headache diary.
- If possible, avoid exposure to triggers of migraine.
- Do regular exercises.
- Prepare and follow consistent daily schedule with regular sleep pattern and meals.
- Have plenty of water.
- Homeopathic treatment.
Homeopathic medicines for migraine are:
- Natrum mur
- Hepar sulph
- Rhus tox
There are many wonderful medicines in homoeopathy that can be thought of in migraine. After thorough evaluation of the case the medicine is selected and prescribed depending on the totality of symptoms of the patient.