SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS Overview
WHAT IS SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS ?
Seborrheic dermatitis is a typical skin condition that mostly affects on your scalp. It causes scaly patches, red skin and stubborn dandruff. Seborrheic dermatitis can also affect oily areas of the body, for example, the face, sides of the nose, eyebrows, ears, eyelids and chest.
Seborrheic dermatitis is also called dandruff, seborrheic skin inflammation and seborrheic psoriasis. For infants, the condition is known as cradle cap and causes crusty, scaly patches on the scalp.
There are many risk factors which help in developing seborrheic dermatitis, such as
- Some neurologic and psychiatric conditions such as parkinsons’ disease and depression .
- Those people having low immunity or weak immune system, such as seen in organ transplant recipients and people with HIV/AIDS, alcoholic pancreatitis and some cancers .
- Recovery from the stress full medical conditions, such as a heart attack.
- Some medication.
- Oily skin
- Using Hair and skin products contain alcohol.
SYMPTOMS & CAUSES
This condition having symptoms like:
- Skin flakes (dandruff) on your scalp,hair,eyebrows,bread or mustache.
- Redness of the skin
- Patches of greasy skin covered with flakes white crust on the scalp,face,sides of the nose, eyebrows,ears,eyelids,chest,armpits,groin area or under the breast.
The exact cause of this condition is not known yet but it may be related to the condition which is given below
- A yeast ( fungus) called malassezia that is in the oil secretion on the skin .
- An irregular response of the immune system