PERIUNGUAL WARTS Overview
WHAT ARE PERIUNGUAL WARTS ?
Periungual Warts also known as Nail Warts or Fingernail Warts is caused by human papillomavirus (HPV). HPV can enter the skin through a cut or scrape. They are cluster around the nails (fingernail or toenail). They appear as thickened, fissured, cauliflower like skin around the nails. Nail biting increases susceptibility to these warts.
At first they are about the size of a pinhead smooth, shiny and virtually impossible to spot. But after a week or months they grow to the size of a pea and have rough, irregular bumps that can affect nail. In the most severe cases nail can be permanently deformed and this can lead to fungal infection
Various risk factors for periungual warts include:
- Periungual warts affect children and young adults,especially if they are nail biters as HPV enters the skin through cuts or scrapes. These warts are difficult to treat.
- Those who pick nail cuticles frequently.
- People with compromised immune system are at higher risk of developing periungual warts and if they develop it then its very hard to treat the warts.
- In cases of atopic dermatitis due to scratching the HPV can enter the skin.
- Using clothes and towels of an infected person can also give you HPV and warts would develop.
- Those who work in water for long in public places are more susceptible to catch infection.
- Those who don't maintain hygiene are also at increased risk.
If periungual warts are not treated they may cause permanent damage to the skin and nails. The nails may get deformed permanently.
Further infection may also be seen in soft tissues and surrounding areas.
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSE
- The periungual warts are rough grainy bumps around and under the nail. They are usually small bumps around the toenails or fingernails.
- Periungual warts also lead to loss of cuticle and increase the risk of self tissue infection. They are usually skin-toned ,pink,tan or white.
- Small warts are usually painless but when they increase in size then they develop pain
- Periungual warts hinder with the nail growth causing split nails.
- The cuticles are also deformed