Myasthenia gravis Overview
What is Myasthenia gravis?
Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune ,neuromuscular disorder ,as the name suggest this condition is related to nerves and muscles
This condition occurs when the communication between the nervous system and muscular system impaired,as a result it leads to weakness in the muscles of the body
- Age -it mainly affect the young adult women(under 40 )and older men(over 40)
- Family history -people who have a family history of myasthenia gravis and other autoimmune disorder are prone to myasthenia gravis.
- Environmental factors - such as sedentary lifestyle ,smoking eating more junk food all these factors weaken the immune system
Neonatal myasthenia gravis - in neonatal myasthenia may acquire immune proteins from a mother affected with myasthenia gravis
One of the major complications of myasthenia gravis is
- myasthenia crisis,it is life threatening muscle weakness that can include breathing problems
- Thymus tumors
- In Myasthenia gravis , people are more prone to develop thyroid autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
Myasthenia gravis is wide range of symptoms such as :
- In some people only the eye muscles will be affected while in other it could symptoms in many muscles ,including those that control breathing.
- The most prevent symptom is fatigue
- Difficulty in swallowing -the person may choke easily ,and eating and drinking and swallowing pills become harder.
- Impaired speech (dysarthria) - speech may become soft or narrow
- Difficulty in chewing -the muscles which is used for chewing may weaken and cause difficulty during eating if the food harder
- Facial expression -a change in facial expression ,a different or unusual smile may develop if certain facial muscles are affected
- Shortness of breathing
- Weakness in the arms ,hands,feet,fingers,and neck it lead to trembling of the hands.
- Ocular myasthenia gravis -the muscles which control the eyes it also affect ,become weak and cause various symptoms such as
- dropping of one or both eyelids (ptosis)
- Blurred vision or double vision (diplopia),all these symptoms create problems in eyesight .
- When the limbs muscles are involved other muscles also tend to be affected such as throat,eyes or face.
All these symptoms become progressively worsen during activity,but symptoms improve after resting.