Alopecia areata Overview
What is Alopecia areata?
Alopecia areata is scalp condition in which the falling of hair occurs in small patches but in initial phase the small patches is unnoticeable ,after some times the small patches may connected and then become noticeable.so in alopecia areata hair fall occur in patches .
Alopecia areata is autoimmune , non scarring disorder
Type of alopecia areata
- Alopecia areata(patchy ) -it is the initial stage in which the hair start falling in small patch then it gradually increases and make a shaped like coin.if this condition become worsen it lead to alopecia totalis or alopecia universalis
- Alopecia totalis -when the hair loss occur in whole scalp this conditions called alopecia totalis
- Alopecia universalis -this is a severe form of alopecia , along with the scalp hair loss also started from the other parts of the body such as eyebrows ,eyelashes,chest , back ,and pubic hair.
- Genetic -if this disease strike under the age of 30 , in such type of cases having strong family history
- Medical conditions -There are some medical conditions in which the chances of occurrence of alopecia areata are common such as asthma ,hay fever , thyroid disease(thyroiditis), vitiligo ,pernicious anemia and down syndrome
- Stress - some experts says alopecia areata is also triggered by mental stress.
- Pre existing skin disease or autoimmune disorder
- Pregnancy and hormonal imbalance also lead to this condition during pregnancy several hormonal changes occur .
- Smoking , drinking also triggered this conditions