TINEA CAPITIS Overview
What is Tinea capitis?
Tinea capitis is superficial fungal skin infection , it affects mainly scalp , eyebrows , eyelashes and hair shaft . it causes small patches of itchy ,scaly skin of the scalp.
Other name of this condition is ringworm but it is called ring because the fungal infection form a rings on the scalp with flat center and raised borders,and worm doesn't really means a worm but a fungal infection.
- Moist , damp , or unhygienic place - those persons stay in damp ,moist areas are more prone for developing tinea because the growth of the fungi are high in damp , moist and unhygienic conditions and can easily spread .
- Communal bath -if the many people share common bathing items such as soaps ,towels ,undergarments it also increase the chance of getting tinea.
- Overcrowded /or sharing rooms with more person -if the many people share one room and if one person is staying with others the chances getting high to transform others
- Age -ring worm is more common in children and toddler because those children are school going get the infection from touch of infected children and this is very common outbreaks .
- Exposure to pets- sometimes infection also come from infected animals if the children touch the animal who suffer from infection without any signs and symptoms.
- Kerion -if the tinea capitis remain untreated it leads to inflammation of the scalp with severe pain and formation of pus in the inflammation It appear as soft raised swelling if the pus is drain it form, Thick ,yellow crust on the scalp.
- Hair fall is a major complication of tinea capitis because it weakens the roots of hair and start to fall.
- Permanent scarring of the scalp.
- Permanent bald due to kerion