WHAT IS SCIATICA?
Sciatica is a common type of pain and this term is used to describe nerve pain in the legs that is caused by irritation and /or compression of the sciatic nerve .
Sciatica usually affects only one side of the lower body ,the pain extends from the lower back all the way through the back of the thigh and down through the leg ,pain may extend to the foot or toe.
- Age -people between 30 to 50 are more prone to sciatica
- Diabetes can cause nerve damage
- Weight - overweight persons are prone because excess weight puts pressure on your spine
- Pregnancy pregnant lady are also prone for the sciatica because hormones produced during pregnancy it cause ligaments to loosen up and stretch which cause back pain .
- Occupation -work in which back is twisted more,carry heavy loads or drive a motor vehicle for long periods of time may contribute to this
- Sedentary lifestyle -persons who lead a sedentary lifestyle or having habit for long sitting are more prone for sciatica because long sitting cause pressure
- Degenerative arthritis of the lumbar spine -it is a chronic disorder that damages the cartilage and tissues surrounding the joints
- Any trauma or injury to the spine - any physical trauma such as accident can lead to sciatica
- Deficiency of vit D -deficiency of vit-D lead to weakness of bone
- Tall persons are more prone for sciatica
The major complication of the sciatica is permanent nerve damage.