PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS Overview
WHAT IS PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS(TB)?
Pulmonary tuberculosis is a contagious bacterial infection that pass through the air between people. When it affects the lungs, the medical name for this pulmonary tuberculosis.
TYPES OF TB
There are two type of Tb-
- Latent TB -the bacteria remain in the body in an inactive state.they cause no symptoms and are not contagious, but they can be active if the immune system is weak
- Active TB - the bacteria do cause symptoms and can be transmitted to other.
The following people are at higher risk of active TB or reactive TB
- Older adults
- People with weak immune systems such as HIV/AIDS,chemotherapy,diabetes,or medicine that weak immune system.
Your risk of catching TB increases if you:
- Are around people who have tb
- Living in crowdy or unclean living conditions
- Have poor nutrition
- Smoking habit
The following factors can increase the rate of TB infection in a population:
- Increase in HIV infections
- Increase in number of homeless people (poor environment and nutrition)
- Presence of drugs-resistant strains of TB
- Certain cancers
- Kidneys disease