PELVIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE Overview
WHAT IS PELVIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE (PID) ?
Pelvic inflammatory disease is infection of the female reproductive organs ( ovaries, fallopian tubes, cervix and uterus). The infection first occurs in the vagina and over time the infection dgrags upwards to infect other pelvic organ. The bacteria commonly causing the infection are the same bacteria causing sexually transmitted diseases, gonnorrhea etc.
In initial stages the disease stays unnoticed but over time it causes complications with conception and menstrual pain.
- History of STDs especially gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- Prior episodes of PID
- Having sex under the age of 25
- Unprotected sex
- Multiple sex partners
- Having sex witj a person having multiple sexual partners
- Women who use an IUD for birth control
- HIV infection
- Douching is forceful washing of vagina with water. It disturbes the pH of vagina and thus balance of good versus bad bacterias as well.
The complications having in PID are:-
- Pelvic cyst: due to repeated infection there could be collection of fluid in the fallopian tubes forming cyst
- Ruptured pelvic cyst: the cyst fromed due to infection might burst as well
- Shock and collapse: is also seen in many cases due to advanced infection
- Scarring of the fallopian tubes: is also seen due to repeated infection
- Increased risk in later pregnancies
- Adhesions: may also be seen due to infection with surrounding structures
- Female infertility: due to adhesions and scarringf in the fallopian tubes
- Chronic pelvic pain: is seen especially during menses due to adhesions
- Recurrent PID infections
- Inflammation of the liver surface
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Pelvic pain
- Vaginal discharge with unpleasant odor
- Abnormal uterine bleeding especially during and after sexual intercourse and in between menstrual cycle
- Pain during intercourse
- Fever and chills
- Difficulty in urination
- Irregular and Painful menses
- Lower back pain