Colorectal polyp Overview
What is Colorectal polyp?
Colorectal polyp also called colonic polyps,it is an abnormal growth of the cells appear on the lining of the colon or large intestine , mainly this growth is not harmful but sometimes it may prove fatal.
Intestines is the part of the digestive system ,digestive system is divided into three parts
- small intestine - it is about 20 feet long , it absorb the nutrition from the food .
- large intestine(colon ) - large intestine about 5 feet long ,it is hollow long tubes and situated at the bottom of the digestive track and the function of the large intestine to make and store stool.
- rectum - hole or opening from the stool passed out
Majority of polyps are benign it means it harmless and non cancerous but in rare cases they are abnormal growth , they can eventually become malignant or cancerous .
Types of polyp
Mainly it is two types of polyp
- Neoplastic polyp - in neoplastic growth two types of colon are found Serrated and adenomatous polyps- these are the most common type of polyp ,and if left untreated it leads to colon cancer, the majority of the polyps arise in the right side more prone for developing into cancer
- Non neoplastic polyp -this group include hyperplastic ,hamartous and inflammatory polyps -these polyps are harmless and not develop into cancer .this polyp is related with ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease
- Age -polyp mainly occur in older age mainly above 40
- Medical conditions - some inflammatory diseases of the intestine such as ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease
- Weight - people who are overweight are more prone for these conditions
- Hereditary - sometimes polyps occur due to inherit genetic mutation , some hereditary disease can cause polyps such as Lynch syndrome ,familial adenomatous polyposis , gardner's syndrome ,serrated polyposis syndrome
- Stress -stress cause the immunity low and make susceptible to disease
- Sedentary lifestyle - people who lead a sedentary lifestyle such as lack of exercise , eating junk food , not taking food on proper time lead to colon polyps.
- Addictions - bad habits such as smoking using tobacco and excessive stimulants such as coffee , excessive tea ,or cold drinks
- Race - african - american people are more prone for developing colorectal polyps.
- Diabetes- diabetes of long untreated can lead to polyp in intestine.