WHAT IS CHALAZION ?
Chalazion is small , slow growing ,inflammatory lump or swelling in the eyelids,it usually occur in upper eyelids but also appear in lower eyelids and it is painless swelling.
Chalazion is usually harmless, it is not a tumor or growth and it is usually self limiting within one week
Chalazion and stye -there are differences in both conditions both occur on eyelids but chalazion id differ from stye because
- Generally stye is painful condition and chalazion is painless ,
- Stye occur due to infection of the meibomian gland but chalazion occur due to blockage of the meibomian gland ,chalazion may develop after styes
There are various risk factors which cause chalazion such as
- Inflammatory disease - chalazion is more occur in those people who have underlying inflammatory condition of the skin or eyes.These are chronic blepharitis ,acne rosacea ,seborrheic dermatitis ,less commonly due to viral conjunctivitis .
- It is common in those people who don’t maintain the lid hygiene
- It is more common in adults from 30 to 50
- Viral infection
- Person with high blood lipid concentration
- stress also promote this condition
- Any trauma to eyelids
- Eyelids surgery
- Skin cancer