What is Tinea capitis
Tinea capitis is superficial fungal skin infection , it affects mainly scalp , eyebrows , eyelashes and hair shaft . it causes small patches of itchy ,scaly skin of the scalp.
Other name of this condition is ringworm but it is called ring because the fungal infection form a rings on the scalp with flat center and raised borders,and worm doesn't really means a worm but a fungal infection.
- Moist , damp , or unhygienic place - those persons stay in damp ,moist areas are more prone for developing tinea because the growth of the fungi are high in damp , moist and unhygienic conditions and can easily spread .
- Communal bath -if the many people share common bathing items such as soaps ,towels ,undergarments it also increase the chance of getting tinea.
- Overcrowded /or sharing rooms with more person -if the many people share one room and if one person is staying with others the chances getting high to transform others
- Age -ring worm is more common in children and toddler because those children are school going get the infection from touch of infected children and this is very common outbreaks .
- Exposure to pets- sometimes infection also come from infected animals if the children touch the animal who suffer from infection without any signs and symptoms.
- Kerion -if the tinea capitis remain untreated it leads to inflammation of the scalp with severe pain and formation of pus in the inflammation It appear as soft raised swelling if the pus is drain it form, Thick ,yellow crust on the scalp.
- Hair fall is a major complication of tinea capitis because it weakens the roots of hair and start to fall.
- Permanent scarring of the scalp.
- Permanent bald due to kerion
Sign and symptoms
- Due to infection it causes one or more round patches in scalp
- Initial the patches are small but gradually it increases in size.
- The infected area appear reddened , gray and scaly
- Hair becomes brittle or fragile it lead to easy pulling out of hair
- The affected area is painful and tender to touch
- Itching on the scalp
- Black spot may be seen due to broken hair leave the space on the scalp
- Lymph nodes may be swollen due to infection
- Low grade fever
- Scalp become dry , scaly
- Hair matted due to pus
Ringworm is highly contagious infection and easily spread through person to person , it is a fungal infection and it is caused by dermatophytes(a type of fungi ) .
Fungi are those organisms which lives in dead tissue , such as fingernails ,hair and the outer layer of the skin whenever it gets favourable environment such as moist ,damp or if the immunity becomes weak, it attack the outer layer of skin on the scalp and the hair shaft and cause fungal infection the skin
How it spread
- From contaminated article -ringworm spread when the article used by infected person again contaminated article used by a healthy persons such as combs , bedding , harbands , rubbers ,or any other article .
- From infected human - Even it is also spread by touching infected skin by skin of healthy persons while playing , it is common in school going children.
- From infected animals - if the infected animals is come in contact while playing with the healthy people it also spread .
Diagnosis and treatment
Diagnosis - it does not require any major lab investigation ,only physical examination and history of symptoms are helpful to make diagnosis
During physical examination - round ring found in the scalp, skin appear scaly and also doctor found sign of inflammation such as redness , pain or tenderness , are helpful for making diagnosis.
Physician also take a sample of skin or hair to confirm the diagnosis , it confirms the presence of fungus by microscopic examination .
A wood ‘s lamp test may be performed to confirm the presence of a fungal scalp infection .
Skin biopsy -biopsy of skin lesion also confirm the diagnosis by microscopic examination or culture
The conventional treatment of tinea is an antifungal medication such as lotions , soaps , creams and shampoos or may be some times antifungal given orally
But all these treatment is not permanent and safe , they only suppressed the condition , in homeopathy this condition is cured permanently from the roots and also prevent from further relapses.
- Always keeping skin clear and dry because moist condition worsen the condition
- Regularly shampoo your head it decrease the spread of fungal it help in removing the dust from your hairs
- Teach properly about Proper hygiene like washing of hands , never share towels , combs ,hats , brushes, hankies , this is the best way of prevention in children.
- Prefer airy rooms and avoid sharing beds rooms and bed sheets .
- Wash the clothes properly with warm water and dry in sunlight .
- Maintain gap from the infected animals .
There are various helpful medicine for tinea capitis it not only remove the symptoms but also help in removing the cause .in this way homeopathy give permanent solutions .but prescription is based on presentation of the case so never take medicine without consulting with registered homeopath practionser, some medicine are
Sulphur ,rhus tox , mezereum ,arsenic album, arctium lappa ,
Bromium, calcarea carb , mercurius , psorinum.
Do’s and don’ts
- Maintain hygiene of the body
- Always use airy rooms
- You can use coconut oil
- Take healthy diet
- Keep hydrated
- Keep distance from the infected persons and animals
- Never share personal things such as towels ,combs, hankies, rubber ,bedsheets ,rooms.
- Avoid scratching of affected part
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Avoid contact from infected persons