Sciatica is a common type of pain and this term is used to describe nerve pain in the legs that is caused by irritation and /or compression of the sciatic nerve .
Sciatica usually affects only one side of the lower body ,the pain extends from the lower back all the way through the back of the thigh and down through the leg ,pain may extend to the foot or toe.
- Age -people between 30 to 50 are more prone to sciatica
- Diabetes can cause nerve damage
- Weight - overweight persons are prone because excess weight puts pressure on your spine
- Pregnancy pregnant lady are also prone for the sciatica because hormones produced during pregnancy it cause ligaments to loosen up and stretch which cause back pain .
- Occupation -work in which back is twisted more,carry heavy loads or drive a motor vehicle for long periods of time may contribute to this
- Sedentary lifestyle -persons who lead a sedentary lifestyle or having habit for long sitting are more prone for sciatica because long sitting cause pressure
- Degenerative arthritis of the lumbar spine -it is a chronic disorder that damages the cartilage and tissues surrounding the joints
- Any trauma or injury to the spine - any physical trauma such as accident can lead to sciatica
- Deficiency of vit D -deficiency of vit-D lead to weakness of bone
- Tall persons are more prone for sciatica
The major complication of the sciatica is permanent nerve damage
Sign and symptoms
- The main symptoms of sciatica is pain and pain can be felt anywhere in the course of the sciatic nerve,and this pain may start from the hip joint and transmit up to foot
- Lower back pain
- Burning and tingling sensation in the leg
- Weakness,numbness in the leg or foot
- Difficulty in motions
- May be pain become constant in one side
- Shooting pain at the time of standing
- Postured induced pain-symptoms of sciatica may worse during some posture such as sitting,try to stand up,bending the spine forward, lying down,while coughing,twisting the spine.
- Pain in hip.
The most common cause of scitai is herniated disk or slipped disc that causes pressure on nerves.
Spine is made up of three parts
- A vertebrae
- And disk
Disk is made up of cartilage,which is strong and resilient material,the cartilage acts as a cushion between each vertebrae and allow the spine to flexible .herniated disk occurs when a disk is pushed out of place and putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.
Other cause of sciatica is
- Lumbar spinal stenosis- in this condition the spinal cord become narrow in the lower back
- Spondylolisthesis-in this condition disk slip forward over the vertebrae below it
- Tumors-the presence of tumours in the spine may compress the spine
- Infection-infection may affect the spine
- Cauda equina syndrome -rare but serious condition that affects the nerve in the lower part of the spinal cord .it require medical condition
- Spinal stenosis-thus condition lead to narrowing of the spinal cord
Diagnosis and treatment
Diagnosis is made by doing this step
- Physical examination
- Joint examination
- Imaging tests
Physical examination include some findings such as
- Localized pain in the low back ,buttock,thigh and leg
- The response to leg movements that elongate the nerve
- The response to certain stimuli such as gentle pressing the toes and calf region.
- Straight leg raise (SLR)test -This test is done to determine if patient has true sciatica,cause leg is very common may occur due to any other reason .
- Slump test - this test also done for checking the involvement if sciatic nerve
Imaging tests for sciatica
- MRI -MRI are helpful to know about the sciatic nerves ,surrounding soft tissue ,facet,joint inflammation,tumors and herniated disk.
- Discogram -discogram is helpful in determining abnormalities in a vertebral disc.
Conventional treatment for sciatica is painkillers,anti inflammatory drugs,muscle relaxants, physiotherapy and other treatment available like acupressure ,physical therapy or chiropractic
But all these treatments are temporary but homoeopathy can cure the condition permanently.
The management of sciatica is mainly focus to relieve pain and keeping active as possible
- Try to alternate Hot and cold application to reduce pain.
- Do exercise and light stretching (as recommended by physiotherapist) stretching exercise might relieve nerve root compression.
- Never sit for long period because it increases the pressure on dick and may worsen the condition
- Stop alcohol and smoking
- Always eat a diet which is rich in calcium and vit D because it gives strength to the bone
Homeopathy is very advanced science ,through homoeopathy we can treat acute and chronic sciatica.homeopathic medicine are natural and safe ,worek on the root cause of sciatica for complete,effective healing and cure Some widely used medicines for sciatica are:
Do’s and don’t
- Keep active and try to take small breaks in between your sitting hours.
- Eat a healthy diet, a diet which is rich in calcium and vit D
- Keep hydrated
- Hot and cold packs
- Do changes in lifestyle such as prolonged sitting or sedentary lifestyle
- Maintain healthy weight
- Avoid jerking ,bouncing or twisting during stretch
- Avoid heavy weight lifting
- Avoid prolonged bed rest
- Avoid sitting for long time
- Avoid smoking and alcohol