WHAT IS OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder )?
OCD is common , chronic mental disorder in which a person has uncontrollable ,recurring thoughts (obsessions ) and behaviour (compulsion) as results affected person feel an urge to do the same activity again and again
Mild thinking regarding future, loved one are normal but normally it goes after some time,but if these thoughts stuck in mind and lead to excessive activity or harm the other person , these condition called obsessive compulsive disorder.
- Sex- OCD is more common in female
- Age - it is more common in young age .
- Stress - stress and traumatic life is one of the leading triggering factors which cause OCD .OCD occur in reaction to stress .
- Mental disorder - OCD sometimes OCD is related or triggered by other mental conditions such as anxiety , depression .
- Mental trauma - such as history of sexual abuse ,stres in relationship ,history of cheating by someone other.
- Medical history - if someone had a history of major illness it lead to major impact on mind or any history of brain injury ,and as a result people become more cautious about future but sometimes people become excess cautious about future.
Untreated OCD can lead to
- social Isolation - sometimes people avoid company of friend , family and want to be alone
- Academica failure - due to mind restlessness it lead to lack of concentration on work as a result affected person become slow in performance
- Loss of concentration at work or other actives
- Loss of sleep due to anxiety
- Exhaustion at physical and emotional plane due to repeated dosing of activities it lead to weakness on physical or mental plane
- Panic attacks
- And some time suicidal thoughts
- Checking -this type affected always feel something is not right ,that’s why feel need to do or check the same things in repeated manner like
Checking include- repeated checking of doors at night it is close or not ,checking of taps ,alarms , car doors , houde lights or other appliances .
.the affected person also check repeatedly mails ,sms .letters etc .there may be a fear of having made mistakes .
- Fear of Contamination -in this type , person always having fear of contamination of getting disease from another person , in this type affected person always doing excessive tooth brushing , overcleaning of certain rooms , bathrooms ,kitchen and avoid large crowds for fear of getting infected .
There is persistent feeling of being dirty ,and affected person get satisfaction by doing excessive showering and washing
- Hoarders - people having fear something bad will happen if they throw things anything away .they accumulate junk like old waste newspaper , old curtains ,old books wood etc .
- Symmetry and fastidious - a person with OCD want to make or arrange everything in right manner , always want clean home that’s why always doing or keep busy in arranging things .
- Intrusive thoughts -this type include violent ,hurting ,obsessional thoughts and sometimes may harm the loved one violently or sexually ,
Thoughts of these people include obsessions about relaitionship ,killing others or suicide.
SYMPTOMS & CAUSES
Common obsessive thoughts in OCD
- Fear of contamination by germs or dirt or getting disease from the others
- Fear of losing self control during anger or harming yourself or others
- Having repeated violent thoughts and images
- Excessive focus on religious or moral ideas
- Fear of losing anything
- Fastidious , some affected people want everything in very good manner
- Superstitions , excessive believe in luck behind any good or bad mishappening
- Sexual and violent thoughts in mind
- Worries of getting hurt.
- Fear of death lead to always conscious about taking breathing ,blinking of eyes or other body sensation
Common compulsive behaviour in OCD
- Excessive checking of anything ,such as locks , appliances and switches and gates .
- Repeatedly checking of loved one to check out he or she is safe or not.
- Waste more time in washing hands ,clothes ,rooms in fear of contamination
- Maintain everything in order ‘just so’
- Excessively stuck in religious or engaged themselves in doing rituals
- Collection of waste material junk such as newspaper ,old curtains ,
- Count the things repeatedly.
Causes of OCD
The exact cause is unknown but they are some theories which is related to the OCD
- Genetic or hereditary factors - it is believed that persons who have a family history of OCD are more prone for developing OCD
- Some biological changes such Chemical , structural and functional abnormalities in the brain lead to OCD .
- Environmental - it is also believe that some infection also triggered the OCD
- Recovery from medical conditions - if any person recover from any major in past it can lead to take precautions in the future but sometimes excessive thought of precautions can lead to OCD
- Stress and depression - mental stress or depression in life can cause OCD
- Past history - if any childhood trauma such as history of sexual abuse
Diagnosis and treatment
The diagnosis of OCD is made by physical examination,any past medical or injury history , lab tests such as CBC to rule out the thyroid function or to rule out any presence of drugs ,or doctor may ask some questions about your feelings , thoughts , and habits.
The convention treatment are medications such as antidepressants and psychotherapy(CBT cognitive behavioral therapy ) or combination of both
But medications are not so much useful and it also lead to harmful effects on the body such as weight gain ,mood swings , etc
But homoeopathy and counselling will help you and give permanent relief from the symptoms
The main of the treatment or management of OCD is to minimise the anxiety ,negative thoughts ,reducing fear and prevent from affecting daily routine activities
- Divert your focus from one thing to other such as engage yourself in doing some exercise , playing computer games ,the main aim of refocus is to avoid or delay the urge to perform a compulsive behavior
- Maintain Dairy - maintain a diary and write your daily activity it can help u to detect your repeated activity of the same work .
- Join supportive company ,people who encourage you from getting out these OCD.
- Focused on your aim , set small targets and goals and try best to fulfill the goals.
- Make healthy hobbies ,
- Exercise and yoga daily it gives you positive thinking
- Reduce stress
- Take adequate sleep because incomplete sleep lead to irritation of the mind
- Eat healthy diet
- Spend time with family , good supportive friends.
Homeopathy is the unique way of treatment , it can help in reducing the thoughts of doing something in repeated manner there are various medicine which is very effective and useful .but only constitutional medicine will help you and never take ho homeopathy medicine without any consultation from the registered medical practitioner
Some homeopathic medicine are
Do’s and don’ts
- Take healthy diet
- Do exercise and yoga
- Stay in supportive society friends
- Spend time with friends and family
- Keep positive thinking
- Take proper sleep
- Never feel depressed
- Avoid stress and anxiety
- Avoid alcohol and smoking or any drugs
- Avoid bad company
- Avoid coffee , tea or any form of nicotine
- Avoid taking any major decision when you feel depressed