What is Colorectal polyp?
Colorectal polyp also called colonic polyps,it is an abnormal growth of the cells appear on the lining of the colon or large intestine , mainly this growth is not harmful but sometimes it may prove fatal.
Intestines is the part of the digestive system ,digestive system is divided into three parts
- small intestine - it is about 20 feet long , it absorb the nutrition from the food .
- large intestine(colon ) - large intestine about 5 feet long ,it is hollow long tubes and situated at the bottom of the digestive track and the function of the large intestine to make and store stool.
- rectum - hole or opening from the stool passed out
Majority of polyps are benign it means it harmless and non cancerous but in rare cases they are abnormal growth , they can eventually become malignant or cancerous .
Types of polyp
Mainly it is two types of polyp
- Neoplastic polyp - in neoplastic growth two types of colon are found Serrated and adenomatous polyps- these are the most common type of polyp ,and if left untreated it leads to colon cancer, the majority of the polyps arise in the right side more prone for developing into cancer
- Non neoplastic polyp -this group include hyperplastic ,hamartous and inflammatory polyps -these polyps are harmless and not develop into cancer .this polyp is related with ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease
- Age -polyp mainly occur in older age mainly above 40
- Medical conditions - some inflammatory diseases of the intestine such as ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease
- Weight - people who are overweight are more prone for these conditions
- Hereditary - sometimes polyps occur due to inherit genetic mutation , some hereditary disease can cause polyps such as Lynch syndrome ,familial adenomatous polyposis , gardner's syndrome ,serrated polyposis syndrome
- Stress -stress cause the immunity low and make susceptible to disease
- Sedentary lifestyle - people who lead a sedentary lifestyle such as lack of exercise , eating junk food , not taking food on proper time lead to colon polyps.
- Addictions - bad habits such as smoking using tobacco and excessive stimulants such as coffee , excessive tea ,or cold drinks
- Race - african - american people are more prone for developing colorectal polyps.
- Diabetes- diabetes of long untreated can lead to polyp in intestine.
Complications of polyp
If the polyp not treated it lead to cancer of the colon
Colon perforation -
Anaemia if the bleeding occur slowly and for the prolonged period
Sign and symptoms
- Pain in abdomen
- Blood in stool, may be blood mixed with the stool or may be on the surface of the stool.
- Blacky stool if the polyp is bleeding
- Excess mucus in the blood
- Pale skin
- Bleeding from the rectum
- Rapid heart rate
- Rarely diarrhoea when polyps secrete fluids into the intestine
- constipation if the poly cause obstruction
Signs and symptoms are worse under some conditions such as
- Type ,size ,and location of the polyp
- Blood clotting disorder
- Chronic conditions such as obesity and diabetes .
The exact cause is unknown but doctors believe it may occur due to some triggering factors such as
- Diet which is rich in fat
- Persons who eat more red meat
- Lack of fiber in diet
- Bad habits - consumption of smoking and alcohol
- Obese person are more prone
- Genetic - when the cells start to multiply more than the natural procedure due to some genetic defect if these overgrowth occur in rectum polyp occur in rectum or if these abnormal growth occur in colon , colon polyps occur
Diagnosis and treatment
Diagnosis is made by taking a medical history , asking about risk factors
And physical examination help in making diagnosis .
Some screening examinations are
- Colonoscopy - in this procedure a long thin tube with a camera and light fitted ,inserted in ractum to find out the polyp ,if the polyp found some surgeons removed the polyp at the same time or taken some sample of tissue for further examination, to rule the cancerous condition
- Sigmoidoscopy - the method is of sigmoidoscopy is same but , this test is done to see the rectum and lower colon. But polyp is not removed in this process
- CT colonography(virtual colonoscopy )-this test used CT scans to take images of rectum ,is also done for seeing the rectum in 2D or 3D
- stool examination under a microscope to rule out the invisible blood in the stool
- Barium enema - in this process doctor insert liquid barium in rectum and by using x ray take images of your colon
Conventional treatment is removal of polyp , majority of the polyp is removed during the process of colonoscopy
But it is not safe ,homeopathy medicine can prevent surgery by medicines
- Change in sedentary lifestyle such as
- Drink plenty of water
- Limit use of coffee , cola , drinks and alcohol, spicy food ,
- Avoid to take diet which is rich in fat
- Eat a healthy diet such as adding more vegetables and fruits , and whole grains in your diet
- Maintain healthy weight
- Limit consumption of taking processed food
Homoeopathic medicine are very effective in colorectal polyps because it helps in shrinking of the polyp and it is very safe and effective ,gives you a permanent solution from the polyps.
But only constitutional medicine will you and taking of medicine only after consulting with the registered homeopathy medical practitioner
Some homeopathic medicines are kali bromatum ,calc phos ,ammonium mur ,nux vomica ,and phosphorus , nitric acid ,mercurius solubilis,thuja ,veratrum album,hydrastis ,alumina,aloes .
Do’s and don'ts
- If you are at higher risk of polyp and your age is 50 you must go for screened regularly
- Take healthy diet ,a diet low in fat , spices
- Drink lots of water
- Keep active
- Take walk after taking dinner
- Do exercise daily and yoga
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Avoid stress
- Avoid junk food
- Avoid tobacco
- Avoid processed food