When your skin comes in contact with substances in the environment that you are allergic to,it may react by causing your skin to itch and become red. This is called contact dermatitis.
- Types and causes of contact dermatitis
- There are many types of contact dermatitis but 3 are the common form of contact dermatitis
- Irritant contact dermatitis
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- Photocontact dermatitis(it is less common.it is reaction that occurs when the active ingredients in a skin product are exposed to the sun and results in irritation).
- CAUSES OF CONTACT DERMATITIS
ALLERGIC CONTACT DERMATITIS -allergic contact dermatitis occurs when the skin develops an allergic reaction after being exposed to a foreign substance,this causes the body to release inflammatory chemicals that can make the skin feel itchy and irritated.
Common cause of allergic contact dermatitis include
- Jewelry made from nickel or gold
- Perfumes or chemicals in cosmetics and skin care
IRRITANT CONTACT DERMATITIS - Irritant contact dermatitis is the most common type of contact dermatitis. It happens when the skin comes in contact with a toxic materials.
- TOXIC SUBSTANCE THAT CAN CAUSE IRRITANT CONTACT DERMATITIS
- Battery acid
- Drain cleansers
- Pepper spray
Irritant contact dermatitis can also occurs when the skin comes in contact with less irritating materials - like soap or even water
- Metal workers
- Construction workers
- Hairdressers and cosmetologists
- Auto mechanics
- Scuba divers or swimmers,due to the rubber in face masks or goggles
- Gardeners and agricultural workers
- Cooks and others who work with foods
- Symptoms of contact dermatitis
Symptoms of contact dermatitis depend on cause and how sensitive you are to the substance.
- ALLERGIC CONTACT DERMATITIS
Symptoms associated with allergic contact dermatitis include:
- Dry ,scaly, flaky skin
- Oozing blisters
- Skin redness
- Skin that appears darkened or leathery
- Skin that burns
- Extreme itching
- Sun sensitivity
- Swelling, especially in the eyes,face,or groin areas
- IRRITANT CONTACT DERMATITIS
Irritant contact dermatitis may cause slightly different symptoms, such as:
- Crackling skin due to extreme dryness
- Skin that feels stiff or tight
- Open sores that form crusts
- Diagnosis and treatment of contact dermatitis
- Physical examination
- Patch test
- Steroids creams or ointments
- Oral medication
Contact dermatitis can lead to an infection if you are repeatedly scratch that affected area,causing it to become wet and oozing. This creates a good place for bacterial or fungal growth and may cause further infection.
- Avoid irritants and allergens.try to identify and avoid substances that irritate your skin or cause an allergic reaction.
- Wash your skin . wash your skin right away after coming into contact with irritants.
- Apply a barrier cream or gel.
- Wear protective clothing or gloves