WHAT IS CHICKEN POX?
Chickenpox also known as varicella,is a highly contagious viral infection.
The chances of contracting Chicken pox is high to those who haven’t had the disease or been vaccinated against it.
- If you haven’t already had chickenpox
- If you haven’t had the chickenpox vaccine
- Newborns and infants whose mothers never had chickenpox or the vaccine
- Adolescents and adults
- Pregnant women who haven’t had chickenpox
- People who smoke
- Weak immune system
- People who taking steroids more frequently
Although chicken pox is mild diseases but if remain untreated it lead to various major health issues such as
- Bacterial infection of the skin ,soft tissues and /or bones
- Dehydration -when intake of water become less during chickenpox it lead to dehydration.
- Pneumonia -if infection reaches the lungs it caused bacterial pneumonia.this type of complication mainly found in children
- Sepsis - Bacterial infection of the blood stream called sepsis.when the infection reaches the bloodstream
- Encephalitis or inflammation of the brain
- Pregnancy complication - If the infection spread to unborn baby it produce complication during pregnancy.
- Shingles/herpes zoster - in occur in late stage of life in this case the dominant varicella -zoster virus become activated due to various causes such as weak immune system, stress , anxiety ,etc.
- Toxic shock syndrome -when the bacteria staphylococcus aureus gets into the bloodstream and bacteria produce toxins in the blood
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
Incubation period -it means it the time period between exposure to an infection and the appearance of the symptoms.so the incubation period of chickenpox is 10 to 21 days
The itchy blisters rash caused or appear 10 to 21 days after exposure to the virus and usually lasts about 5 to 10 days.other signs and symptoms ,which may appear one to two days before the rash,include.
- Loss of appetite
- Tiredness and general feeling of being unwell(malaise).
- Aching muscles
- Feeling of nausea
Once the chickenpox rash appears,it goes through three phases.
- Raises pink or red bumps (papules),which break out over several days.
- Small fluid-filled blisters(vesicles),which form in about one day and then break and leak.
- Crusts and scabs,which cover the broken blisters and take several more days to heal.
chicken pox is caused by a virus called varicella zoster .it spread from affected person to healthy persons by various medium ,such as by hugs ,kisses , by using contaminated article , by coming in contact with infected persons ,by touching the blisters, or breathing in air around someone who is infected.
How it is spread - chicken pox spread through various mediums
- By airborne respiratory droplets(coughs or sneezes) - when an infected person cough or sneeze without covering of mouth it shed various viruses in the air if these viruses come in contact with the healthy persons the viruses are transferred to healthy persons
- By saliva -if the saliva from infected person to healthy person transfer through hugs and kisses.
- By skin to skin contact if the bacteria direct shared from skin of affected person to healthy person.
- By touching a contaminated article - if the used article of the affected person is used by healthy person because article used by affected person contain viruses it may transfer to the person.
- By mother to baby by pregnancy - if the pregnant women get infected from chicken pox ,there is a high chance of transfer to the baby .
Diagnosis and treatment
- Diagnosis of the chicken pox is mainly done by physical examination of the rashes .
- Laboratory tests ( CBC,culture of lesion samples).a sample of blood is send to the laboratory to know the active chickenpox infection in body .and also to find antibodies .
Conventional treatment of Chickenpox ,typically chickenpox needs no medical treatment ,but doctors may prescribe antihistamine to relieve itching , antibiotics for skin infections
But all these medications have side effects, it is better to complete the course of chickenpox , but symptomatic relief can be done by homeopathy because it is safe and natural.
- Drink lots of water because chickenpox cause dehydration so drink more water then u lose.
- Maintain hygienic conditions , it is very important because unhygienic conditions can lead to spread of infection to other aparts
- Eat a healthy diet and take rest
- Avoid itching as much as possible try to avoid scratching because it lead to scarring and also spread infection to other part .
- Use cool wet compresses or give cool or lukewarm bath
- Apply calamine lotion
- Keep fingernails clean and short as possible
- Prevent transmission as much as possible - use mask or hand while coughing to prevent transmission of chickenpox
- Try to avoid go in crowded place during chicken pox.
Chickenpox is a viral disease so it is better to complete its course properly but Through homeopathy medicine we can help in the healing process and also helpful to control the itching and irritation. Homeopathy also act as preventive method
- Rhus tox
- Antimonium crud
- Kali mur
But take homeopathy medicine only after proper case taking by the registered medical practitioner.
Do’s and don’ts
- Eat healthy diet
- Keep hydrated
- Always keep your nails clean and small
- Use calamine lotion
- Always use mask on face
- Wearing loose clothing
- Avoid scratching as much as possible
- Avoid stress
- Avoid to go in crowded place
- Never suppressed it by taking unnecessary medicine
- Avoid junk food