What is calcaneal spur ?
Calcaneal spur is just a bony outgrowth from the calcaneal tuberosity, calcaneal spur also called heel spur ,it a calcium deposit causing bony protrusion on the underside of the heel bone.
When a foot is exposed to constant stress,it leads to calcium deposits on the bottom of the heel bone.
There are various activities which increase the risk of developing calcaneal spur:
- Athletic activities-running and jumping can wear down the heel and arch of the foot.
- Activity on hard surface-frequent walking ,running,or jumping on hard surfaces can wear down the heel.
- Trauma to the heel-repeated injury ,bruising and tearing the membrane that covers it can lead to heel spurs.
- Getting older:common in old age
- Sex-heel spur is more common in female.
- Being overweight: in obese persond the risk of developing of calcaneal spur is high.
- Impropers footwear:frequently wearing shoes that do not fit properly ,have lost their support,or are not supportive,such as flip-flops,can lead to heel spur.
- There are some medical conditions that may cause heel spurs.
There is misunderstanding between heel spur and plantar fasciitis because a heel spur is calcium deposits that forms a bony protrusion along the plantar fascia.
In contrast,plantar fasciitis is a condition where the plantar fasciitis gets irritated and swollen,which causes pain in the heel
Symptoms and cause
- Pain in the heel which is sharp like and mainly occur in the morning when standing up in the morning.
- Dull aching pain in the heel remain throughout the day
- Heat radiating from the affected area
- Small ,visible bone like protrusion under the heel.
- Tenderness may present at the bottom of the heel that makes it hard to walk barefoot
- Inflammation and swelling at the front of the heel.
Heel spur develops over time it is not caused by only one reason or they don’t appear suddenly after workout or a spot event , it has many predisposing factors which all make a person susceptible to develop
Diagnosis and treatment
Diagnosis of the calcaneal spur is made by history of heel pain and tenderness from long term.and heel spurs are also diagnosed with ultrasound and x-ray
X ray- x-ray shows the bony prominence of the heel bone.
The treatment of calcaneal spur include
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Cortisone injections
- Wearing cushioned sports shoes
- Using custom-made orthotics
- Pain killer
- In rare cases,surgery is required to remove the heel spur.
- Find out the cause and treat them
But these treatments are only conventional ,not permanent and safe. Thus homeopathic treatment is the best treatment for calcaneal spur.
Management of calcaneal spur
- Applying ice-this can help reduce pain and swelling.
- Rest -getting plenty of rest and taking pressure off the feet can help to reduce pain and swelling in the affected area.
- Epson salt bath- a warm epson salt bath can soften your heels,reduce inflammation and swelling and relieve heel spur pain
- Stretching and massage- foot massages can be beneficial to foot health because they can increase fluid flow ,break up scar tissue and can speed up the healing process.
- Always wear high cushioned shoes.
Homeopathy medicines offer a very safe and complete treatment of calcaneal spur. The homoeopathic medicines substance and have no side effects.some medicines such as
- Calcarea flour
- Ammonium mur
- Rhus tox
- Aranea diadema
- Aurum met
- Mag phos
- apply a cold compress on a heel spur
- Do physiotherapy and exercise for heel spurs
- Use correct fix shoes
- Give Rest to your heel
- Using therapeutics orthotics insoles
- Maintain healthy fat
- Doing warm up exercise before doing any each activity
- Avoid pressure on heel
- Avoid walking on hard surface
- Avoid food which contain fat
- Avoid excessive running