WHAT IS BRONCHIECTASIS?
Bronchiectasis is a chronic respiratory condition in which respiratory airways become excessively dilated. In these dilated airways, mucus gets buildup that makes them thick and can lead to infection.
Bronchiectasis can occur because if you are suffering from:
- Cystic fibrosis
- Weakened immune system
- Autoimmune diseases
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Alfa-1-antitrypsin deficiency
- Infective lung diseases.
- recurrent pneumonia requiring hospitalization,
- lung abscess,
- progressive respiratory failure
- chronic bronchial infection
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
- Chronic recurrent cough
- Large amount of sputum with blood
- Blood with cough
- Difficulty in breathing
- Easy fatigue
- Frequent respiratory infection
Bronchiectasis may be caused by cystic fibrosis (CF), a genetic condition that cause overproduction of mucus.
For non-CF bronchiectasis, the causes may include:
- Past severe lung infection
- Genetic diseases like primary ciliary dyskinesia or alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Suppressed immune system
- Other autoimmune conditions
- Aspirating (breathing in) things like fluids into lungs
- Obstructed airways (airways blocked by something like a tumor or an inhaled object)
DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT
- Bronchiectasis is initially diagnosed by examination and auscultation of the chest.
- CBC is advised to look for anemia or signs of any infection.
- Sputum examination is done any invading microorganism’s presence.
- X rays and CT may be advised for visualization of lung fields.
- Sweat test: to rule out cystic fibrosis.
Conventional treatment includes use of antibiotics, bronchodilators, expectorants and oxygen therapy which provide very short term relief.
- Educate the patient.
- Early diagnosis is better.
- Counsel the patient.
- Practice regular chest therapy and breathing exercises
- Eat healthy nutritious diet.
- Take homeopathic medicines.
Homeopathic medicines have been shown much better results in treatment and management of bronchiectasis by naturally lowering the amount of mucus production in respiratory airways.
Medicines like antim tart, ipecac, stannum met kali bi and hepar sulph etc. are very good depending on the case.
DO’S AND DON’TS
- Eat healthy diet.
- Do yoga.
- Do breathing exercises regularly.
- Don't expose yourself to allergens frequently.
- Don't panic in case of stress and anxiety.